All of this happened a while back – we got the rack over Christmas break, but it has just taken us a while to get this all posted.
I was PUMPED to get this rack on Vie. We were originally going to weld a custom rack. This would have been a bit more difficult. And even and figure out how to mount it. THEN, we had the genius idea to use galvanized pipe.
Here are the pictures of the assembled cross bar.
The idea is that once we had those going across the top of the RV we could hook whatever type of rack into it that we wanted. So my Yakima bike racks and the Thule space box that we purchased would all be able to work together.
Thanks to Madison’s cousin Chase we were able to assemble and mount all in one day. We drilled through the roof and dropped 3 inch bolts down to hold it on. We sealed it all up nice and tight with a sealant so we wouldn’t get any leaks. We got really lucky too, all of the bolts dropped down in places that are hidden in cupboards. That way it doesn’t look all ghetto on the inside.
Here is the final product!
We had to make an extra trip back to home depot. The threads were all messed up on one of our elbows. This delayed our finish time long enough that we had to work under the street light! #balleradoshop
Here are a few pictures with better lighting. You can also see how any rack system would work on this set up.
Vie with a full load! Bikes and box!
The same day we hooked the rack up, all of Madison’s uncles detailed Vie! She was power washed and cleaned up real nice! Thanks guys!